It is important to start the day properly and no prizes for guessing that we are talking about breakfast. It is quite staggering the amount of people who still do not eat breakfast. This is extremely important for a magnitude of reasons which I will not bore you with right now, but at least to stop the additional consumption of calories by lunch time because you are literally starving.
Breakfast can be a pretty fraught time with a million things to do before you get out the door and trying to get everyone organised.
If you know that it is going to be a particularly busy morning why not prepare breakfast the night before. Below are a few recipes to make in the days before, to leave in the fridge to be able to grab for those mornings when there is little time.
One of the latest trends are overnight oats. They are generally photographed in Kilner jars, it shows the layering of the ingredients and looks pretty, and I think Ikea stock something similar, other shops are available. Although, any food storage container is suitable for overnight oats. TopTip: The Kilner jars can be used to create layered salads for packed lunches for adults or children.
Foundation of overnight oats is the base mixture which can be layered or all mixed together, whichever is preferred.
|Porridge Oats||1/3rd Jar|
|Soaking Liquid||1/3rd Jar||This can be all milk or half milk and half yogurt (Greek or Regular).
You can even soak in apple juice.
|Additions||1/3rd Jar||Fruits, Nuts, Savoury, Sweet|
The preferable method is to put the oats and any spices in first, then the liquid or half liquid and half yogurt with the more robust ingredients next then the softer fruits or ingredients at the top.
Tropical: Diced Mango
Or mix of all three
Mix of berries
Carrot cake: Grated carrot
Dietary Issues and Swaps If Required
Vegan: Use soya, rice or other plant milks or soya or plant yogurts
Gluten-Free: Use gluten-free oats
There are an enormous amount of fruits, nuts, seeds and spices that can be added to the overnight oats for variety.
These are just convenient mini egg cakes that are portable and you can take on the run or shove into lunch boxes for when you get to work.
|Free range eggs||10 eggs|
|Fresh Mint Chopped||Bunch|
|Fresh Coriander Chopped||Bunch|
|Fresh Chilli||Finely chopped||Can be removed if required|
|Bacon Cooked (Grilled)||(Fat removed) cut into small pieces (I use scissors)|
|Ham||(Fat removed) cut into small pieces (I use scissors)|
|Grated Courgette, Pea and Feta||Grate a small courgette, add frozen peas and crumbled feta no more than 25g|
|Chopped bacon and tomato||Cooked chopped bacon with fat removed and chopped tomato|
|Mushroom and Peppers||Sliced Mushrooms and chopped peppers (any colour)|
|Onion||White, Red or spring onions sliced thinly|
|Tomato and Chilli||Chopped tomato and finely chopped red (or green) chilli|
|Spinach||Handful cooked first|
|Smoked Salmon and Cream Cheese||Do not add the feta and snip smoked salmon with scissors and add in small chunks of cream cheese|
- Preheat oven to 180°C (fan160/Gas Mark 4).
- In a large bowl crack the eggs and whisk thoroughly. Add the herbs and the crumbled feta.
- Lightly mix in the other ingredients of your choice.
- Distribute evenly between the 12 cup muffin tray – not all the way to the top you will need room for them to rise. Preferably use a non-stick muffin tray or line a muffin tray with reusable silicone muffin cases.
- Bake for up to 25 minutes – checking occasionally. They are cooked when you can pierce a toothpick in the centre and the stick comes out clean.
- Leave for a few minutes to cool before removing from the cases.
Each serving is 2 muffins.
One of my favourites and relatively quick to do. Have a couple of poached eggs on wholegrain toast. I sometimes spread guacamole on the toast to get my avocado kick for the day and it is more flavourful than plain smashed avocado. Although, smashed avocado with chilli flakes and poached eggs is also a pretty substantial breakfast.
If you have smoked salmon to use up (I mean who doesn’t have smoked salmon in the fridge ?) rip a large piece of cling film off the roll and put this inside a small teacup, layer th smoked salmon in to the cling film then crack an egg into it. Twist the cling film to make a pouch. This can be placed into the simmering water to poach and you have smoked salmon poached eggs. This can also be done with honey roast ham.
How long does it take to poach an egg – 4 ½ to 5 ½ minutes – although I use the timing of the toaster (all toasters will be different). Once I put the eggs in I pop the bread in to toast. When the bread is done and I have put whatever topping is on the bread the eggs are ready to come out – soft every time!
Omelette with Cooked Mushrooms (or selection of any vegetables)
Granola with Fresh Fruit and Greek Yogurt
Toast with Peanut Butter and Sliced Strawberries
Porridge Oats with Chopped Apple and Cinnamon (or any seasonal fruit)
Scrambled Eggs with Smoked Salmon
This is one of my children’s favourite meal anytime. It is pretty substantial and I would not recommend it every day.
- Cook ½ sliced onion and a fresh chopped tomato with some finely sliced chilli in an omelette pan.
- Add in 2 whisked eggs and cook to preferred consistency
- Add sliced olives
- Spread salsa over a wholemeal tortilla – quick salsa (tomato, onion, fresh chilli, fresh coriander, garlic (if required) whizzed with a hand blender or left chunky))
- Place omelette in middle of tortilla
- Add a sprinkle of cheddar cheese (or crumbled feta or grated ranchero)
- Add a spoonful of guacamole
- Add a few jalapenos
- Add sprinkle of fresh coriander
- Add chopped lettuce or rocket (I always pop it into every meal if I can get away with it)
- Roll up the tortilla and cut in half at an angle
- This can be eaten straight away or rolled into tin foil and taken for the office or school.
If you really have no time for breakfast grab and Apple and a Banana on the way.
It is really important to kick start your system for the day. To initiate your metabolism, to nourish your system to give you energy required to function well.